Thursday, January 7, 2010

Shepherds Pie



Shepards Pie
serves 4

- 6-8 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb of ground turkey
- 3.5 cups(approx)of frozen mixed vegetables (corn, carrots, beans, peas, broccoli, etc)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Worcestershire for flavoring (3 tablespoons)
- White Cheddar Cheese about 2 cups grated (can use any cheese you like)
- Salt & Pepper

I'm posting the first blog of my life. This new age thing of blogging has finally entered my life. One of my 2010 New Year resolutions was to create a hobby. Cooking is a favorite of mine, but I don't get the opportunity to share it with more people than those sitting at the dinner table. So here I am, ready to blog and ready to eat!!

So to begin, let's talk about underwear. Underwear? Yes, underwear. Since Racheal Ray has EVOO and all her other weird sayings, I am coining the term Underwear. Side note: Racheal Ray is NOT one of my favorite shows to watch. I have to turn the channel before I hear about more noodles going into the jacuzzi! Okay, so back to underwear. Underwear is the Onion and Garlic. It is 9 times out of 10 how I start every meal. I love the fragrance when they start cooking down in a little bit of olive oil.

Shepherds Pie is one of my favorite recipes to make because it's quick and easy. It is a hearty meal for a cold day like today (-20 are you kidding me!) Start by getting a pot of water boiling and the potatoes cooking until they are ready to be mashed. While the potatoes are cooking, get the underwear going. In a saute pan, add a couple tablespoons of olive oil, onion and garlic. Cook until translucent. Add the beef and cook until no longer pink. Add the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper. I tend to add enough Worcestershire sauce that turns the turkey into the color of ground beef. My family enjoys the flavor, but add more or less to what your taste buds like. Now add the frozen vegetables. I like to add enough vegetables that make the ratio of meat to vegetables close to equal. Cook vegetables and meat on low until vegetables are almost completely softened. Place mixture in a small rectangular casserole dish. I like to use my Le Creuset cookware for most of my cooking.

Once the potatoes are ready for mashing, drain, and mash. I like to use a splash of milk and butter to mash my potatoes for extra flavor. Add the cheese and mix into potatoes until melted. After potatoes are done, put on top of the meat mixture and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. For the last 5 minutes, place under the boiler to make an extra crispy top.

I would love to hear from anyone who tries this! It is one of our family favorites. Enjoy and I hope this becomes one of your family's Delicious Memories!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment