Monday, January 18, 2010

Curried Zucchini Soup

This recipe was something new for us tonight. I had way too many zucchini sitting in the fridge. I was going to make zucchini bread, but 1. I don't like to bake and 2. if I am going to spend time in the kitchen I better make dinner not just snacks. So I hopped onto my favorite website www.foodnetwork.com to see what I could find. This is a new recipe, and I can't take credit for it's creation but it will be added to the rotation of dinner recipes that I make!

Curried Zucchini Soup
Courtesy of Emeril Lagasse

Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne
- 2 pounds zucchini, trimmed and chopped
- 3.5 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Chopped cilantro, garnish

Directions:
In a medium pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. That's right you start again with the UNDERWEAR (I'm telling you, every good meal starts with the Underwear - aka onion and garlic). Add the garlic and onion, stirring until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the curry powder, salt, and cayenne, stir and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. (I used more than a pinch of cayenne as I like the extra kick. I would wait until the end of the recipe to add additional spices so you taste it to find what it needs). Add the zucchini, reduce to medium heat, and cook, stirring occasionally until soft, about 5-6 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the zucchini is very tender, about 20 minutes.

Remove from the heat. With a hand-held immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor, puree the soup. Return to medium heat and stir in the cream, Simmer for 3minutes. Adjust the seasoning to taste.

This soup may be served hot or cold! Garnish with cilantro. Recipe suggests serving with toasted pita, I suggest a crispy french bread warm out of the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment